Search This Blog

Friday 18 November 2011

Discover UPDEPP's Flora!

Bougainvillea (Bougainvillea Spectabilis)

The warm rays of sun greet me as I walk toward the campus. It is another day for me in UPDEPP. I gently feel the mild breeze as it sways the bougainvilla plants. Its bright red-pinkish flowers complement the warm weather. As I cross the bridge, I stop for a while to take a good look at the other plants and trees that surround UPDEPP. I am fascinated! How come I missed to recognize their existence and their beauty every time I walk here. They remind me of being tough and persistent despite hardships and humiliation.

As I look after, I was surprised to see a gumamela that was recently sprouted. I was  surprised,  I admit because this was the first time it produced a flower. It is further complemented by the santan that surrounds the entrance of the campus. The relaxing view is further intensified by the fragrance of the kalatsutsi flowers nearby.
 (Left to Right)
Santan (Ixora Coccinea Linn.), Kalatsutsi (Plumeria Acuminiata), Gumamela (Hibiscus Rosasinensis Linn.)

I suddenly realized the diversity of flora in UPDEPP. The place was bounded by different kinds of plants, vines, shrubs and trees. To discover more, I decided to explore the entire campus!


Plants in front UPDEPP
Eucalyptus Tree (Eucalyptus Obliqua)
The campus was somehow guarded by two tall trees. The Ebak Tree (rubber tree) and the kasoy tree. Once in a while, the kasoy tree bears fruit which were harvested by the staff, vendors and even students. 

Top to Bottom
Ebak Tree(top and right), Cashew (left) (Anacardium Oxidentale)
If you will walk beside the campus, numerous guava and guyabano trees are aligned to provide shelter and fruits for passers-by. The place  also has palmera and hanging flowers. There are also many planted trees and plants aside from the mentioned plants.
Top to Bottom
Guyabano (Annona Muricata), Guava (Psidium Guajava)
Hanging Flower (Thevetia Peruviana), Palmera (Chryalidocarpus Luterscens Palmae)
As I proceed to the parking lot of the campus, a great talisay tree greeted me and reminded me of my hometown in Bulacan. Moreover, if you will closely observe, you will recognize the scattered Makahiya around the area. These plants are often ignored, yet they possess unique ability of reflexes.
Talisay (Terminilia Catappa)
Left to Right
Makahiya (Mimosa Pudica), Madagascar Periwinkle (Catharanthus Roseus)
Plants & Flowers at the back of UPDEPP
Have you ever noticed the Cloverleaf and Oregano plant in the campus washing area? And who will ever forget the Banana and Ipil-Ipil tree beside the residence area of the campus?
Top to Bottom (Left to right)
Oregano (Origanum Vulgare), Mosses, Indian Tree
Wandering Jew (Sebrina Zebrina Pendula Schnitzl), Stink Grass, Fern
Top to Bottom
Banana (Musa Acuminata), Cogon Grass (bottom) (Imperata Cylindrica)
Ipil Ipil (Laucaena Glauca)
Other Flora found in UPDEPP
And this  ends my discovery of UPDEPP's flora! An experience worth remembering!

No comments:

Post a Comment